Fire Service Area Election Information
Service Area Elections are held annually in March and November. March elections are held for service areas wishing to increase their mill levy and November elections are held for establishing, annexing, dissolving, or merging service areas.
A Service Area is a specific geographic area of the borough which receives a higher or different level of service than what is provided on an areawide or non-area-wide basis. Service Areas are separate taxing jurisdictions.
proposed november 15, 2022 fire service area election
Ordinance No. 2022-52 has been introduced proposing a Fire Service Area Election to establish a new Fire Service Area in the Pleasant Valley and Two Rivers area. This ordinance is scheduled for Public Hearing on Thursday, September 22, 2022, at or after 7 p.m. at 907 Terminal Street, Fairbanks. Testimony may be give in person at the meeting or emailed to the Assembly at email@example.com.
If the ordinance in adopted, the proposed Pleasant Valley Two Rivers Fire Service Area Election will be held on November 15, 2022. More information, including the ordinance, and maps can be found below.
Who is Qualified to Vote in this Election?
A person is qualified to vote who:
- Is a resident of the United States.
- Is 18 years of age or older.
- Has been a resident of the borough and the precinct in which the person seeks to vote just before the election.
- Is registered to vote in state elections at a residence address within the municipality at least 30 days preceding the election.
- Has registered before the election as required under AS 15.07 and is not registered to vote in another jurisdiction.
- Is not disqualified under Article V of the Alaska State Constitution.
- Is a resident of the proposed service area in which they seek to vote for at least 30 days immediately preceding the election.
How to Vote in the Fire Service Area Election:
All Service Area Elections are conducted using the procedures prescribed within the Fairbanks North Star Borough Code, Title 5, Elections, for Absentee Voting - In Person, Absentee Voting - By Mail, and Absentee Voting - By Electronic Transmission.
- In-Person Absentee Voting:
- The Borough Clerk's Office, 907 Terminal Street, beginning October 19, 2022 through Election Day, Tuesday, November 15, 2022 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. excluding weekends and holidays.
- The Two Rivers Community Center at 7234 Anders Avenue on Tuesday, November 15, 2022 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Mail or Electronic Absentee Voting:
- By Mail - Your application must be received at least 7 days prior to the election. APPLY EARLY to be sure you receive your ballot in time.
- By Electronic Transmission- Your application must be received by noon the day immediately preceding the election. Note: Absentee voters requesting ballots by electronic transmission via email are required to print both the ballot and voter’s oath.
- Complete ALL information requested. Omissions may result in your application being rejected.
- You MUST provide your residence address in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Use the description of physical location – street number, apt. #, etc.
- SIGN your application. Signature must be a handwritten signature. A typed or digital signature is not valid. A friend, spouse or parent may not sign for you. If two individuals are requesting a ballot on the same application BOTH must sign the application.
If you are requesting an absentee ballot, you must complete the application. If you are unsure, please call our office at (907) 459-1403.
The Borough Clerk's Office mailed a Dear Property Owner Letter to all property owners who live within the proposed new fire service area on September 8, 2022. Please note a receipt of this letter does not automatically qualify you to vote in this election. You must be a resident and registered to vote at an address within the proposed Pleasant Valley Two Rivers Area at thirty days prior to the election.
Questions? Call the Borough Clerk's Office at 907-459-1401 or email the Borough Clerk.