We partner with the community to prepare for, respond to, mitigate the impacts of, and recover from disasters.
On August 31, 2016 the Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) became the first borough in the State of Alaska to achieve StormReady Status. For more information on the National Weather Service (NWS) StormReady Program visit their website.
NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador
FNSB Emergency Management has been accepted as a NOAA Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador. The Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador initiative is an effort to formally recognize NOAA partners who are improving the nation's readiness against extreme weather, water, and climate events.
Visit the NOAA Weather-Ready Nation website.
Smart911 & RAVE ALERTS AND WARNINGS
What is Smart911?
Smart911 allows you to create a free, private, and secure account. In your account, you can create a safety profile to provide additional information to 9-1-1 so they can help you faster in an emergency. You may also opt into alerts (e.g., RAVE Alert) and notifications to stay informed of weather, traffic, and other emergencies in the community. If you have vulnerable needs, you may sign up for the vulnerable need's registry, which will alert emergency managers that you need special assistance when a disaster strikes.
How much information you want to add to your profile is up to you. You may include information on people and household, medical, address and location, and other information on vehicles, pets, service animals, and any special notes. This information is only seen when you call 9-1-1.
Available Alerts & Warnings
When creating your Smart911 account, you can opt into notifications from the following:
- Fairbanks North Star Borough
- Wildfire Information
- FNSB Services
- NWS Severe Weather Alerts
- FNSB Emergency Management
- FNSB Transit Notifications
- Emergency Notifications from AK - City of Fairbanks
- Fairbanks Emergency Communication Center
- Fairbanks Fire (FFD)
- Fairbanks Police Department (FPD)
To create your account, go to Smart911. You may opt-in for direct wildfire alerts by texting "FNSBWildfireAlerts" to 67283. You can opt out by replying "Stop."
- Get ready for any disaster or emergency and know what to do before, during, and after.
- Every member of your family, including your children of all ages, can help prepare for disasters.
- Learn how to make a plan for your family.
- Learn how to prepare your business for a disaster.
- There are multiple ways to be involved in your community before an emergency or disaster occurs. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>