Borough Facts, History & Seal
Fairbanks North Star Borough Facts - By the Numbers
What is a "Borough?" In Alaska, the word "borough" is used instead of "county." Similar to counties, boroughs are administrative divisions of the state. The FNSB includes the City of Fairbanks and the City of North Pole. (Each city has its own elected Mayor and elected Council Members)
Fairbanks was founded in 1903, long before Alaska was purchased from Russia. Statehood happened in 1959 and the Fairbanks North Star Borough was incorporated on January 1st, 1964.
In 1963, the Alaska State Legislature passed the Mandatory Borough Act. By doing this, the Legislature fulfilled a constitutional provision that called for the division of the state into "boroughs". The word "borough" was used instead of "county". The terms are similar and in Alaska, refers to the administrative divisions of the state.
Facts & Figures
- Form of Government: Second Class Borough
- Airports: Fairbanks International Airport FAI, 6 miles west of downtown Fairbanks
- Air Quality is extremely important here in the Tanana Valley.
- Alaska became a state on January 3, 1959; FNSB was incorporated on January 1, 1964.
- Area covered: 7,361 square miles or 19,065 square kilometers
- The assessed valuation of the borough: $10,293,697,692 as of 6/1/2020, includes City of Fairbanks & City of North Pole
- Average snowfall - inches per year
- Record Temperature - hottest - degrees / coldest - degrees
- FNSB Bus Lines:
- Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce
- Churches: 82 Christian churches from Nenana, AK to Delta Junction, AK and 91+ faith communities
- Borough Budget: General Fund operating expenditures $ million, capital improvements $ million - Fiscal Year 2020-21
- COVID-19 Information:
- FNSB's Community Research Quarterly: a social economic review
- Golden Valley Electric Association
- Elevation: 446' above sea level
- Employment: Workplace Alaska
- Hospitals/Public Health:
- Indian Health Services: Tanana Chiefs Conference/Chief Andrew Isaac Health Center
- Military Bases:
- Parks: 23
- Places to Stay: bed and breakfasts, hotels, motels, lodges, cabins, RV parks, vacation rentals
- Pools: Hamme, Westcott, Mary Siah
- Police and Fire Departments:
- Population estimate - 98,971
- Recycling: FNSB's Central Recycling Facility
- Schools: Fairbanks North Star Borough School District