My neighbor's pickup is parked on the road. Is that encroachment?

Encroachments are generally semi-permanent in nature and might include "buildings, billboards, walls, fences, driveways, earthworks, culverts, pipe, poles, towers, gates or ditches placed so as to obstruct or impair proper use." But, the most common inquiry about encroachments seems to involve vehicles. To determine if your neighbor’s pickup (or anything else) is an "encroachment," let’s walk through this together:

  1. Does the alleged violation involve a "structure, object, operation, or material?" If yes, continue.
  2. Is it occurring in, on, under or over a "public road" or dedicated "public area?" If yes, continue.
    1. "Public road" means a highway, road, right-of-way, street, alley, bridge, walk, trail, tunnel or similar or related facility dedicated to public use. It does not include a private road or easement.
    2. "Public area" means land dedicated to public use for a square, park, greenbelt or recreational area.
  3. Is it placed in such a manner as to either:
    1.  "impair, impede or obstruct proper use of the public road or area" If yes, continue.
    2. "affect drainage patterns that will impair, impede, or obstruct proper use?" If yes, continue.
  4. Is it "within the traveled way" or "obstructing the public use" and it could not be considered a "minor temporary object?" If yes, then you have an encroachment and are ready to submit a Complaint Form (PDF).

If the encroachment is occurring on a road or within a road right-of-way inside a Road Service Area (RSA), your complaint form will be forwarded to Rural Services. If it is occurring outside of an RSA, then it will be processed by Code Enforcement.

Show All Answers

1. How can I view a code enforcement case file?
2. How do I file a complaint?
3. How does the FNSB handle reported code violations?
4. If I think that a property owner is violating FNSB code, what should I do?
5. My neighbor keeps trespassing onto my property. What can I do?
6. My neighbor's stuff or vegetation is crossing our shared property line. What can I do?
7. How do I call for an immediate fire or life/safety emergency?
8. My neighbor's pickup is parked on the road. Is that encroachment?
9. What can I do about an abandoned vehicle at the end of my cul-de-sac?
10. What can I do about someone who has blocked off or is parking vehicles in a road right-of-way, trail easement, or private easement?
11. What qualifies as a junkyard?
12. When is a junkyard required to have an approved drainage plan?
13. Where are junkyards permitted? Do they have to be screened?
14. My neighbor has 10 dogs on 1 lot. Is that considered a kennel?
15. Where can I open a new dog (or cat) kennel?
16. Can I raise chickens, ducks, geese, bees, goats, etc. on my property?
17. Do I need a building permit before starting construction?
18. When is a zoning permit required?