What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?

Land areas that are at high risk for flooding are called SFHAs or floodplains. These areas are indicated on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) and are designated with an "A". In high-risk areas, there is at least a one in four chance of flooding during a 30-year mortgage.  Properties in the SFHA with federally backed loans require flood insurance. 

Show All Answers

1. When are Floodplain Permits required?
2. What is a flood?
3. What are flood zones?
4. What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
5. How can I find out my flood zone?
6. How can I find out what my flood risk is?
7. What is Base Flood Elevation (BFE)?
8. Is there a fee for a Floodplain Permit?
9. What is a Flood Elevation Certificate (EC)?
10. What is a Certificate of Compliance?
11. How do I obtain a Certificate of Compliance?
12. What is a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)?
13. How can I apply for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)?
14. How long does it take to obtain a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), LOMR-F and LOMR?
15. What is the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)?
16. Does my homeowner's insurance policy cover flooding?
17. Is my flood insurance policy activated at the time of purchase?
18. Can I get flood insurance if I'm renting a property?
19. Does a 100-year flood occur once every 100 years on average?
20. What are the recurrence intervals (estimate of the likelihood of an event) and probabilities of occurrences?
21. What is my chance of flooding over a 30 year mortgage?
22. A water pipe on the second floor burst causing a flood of water throughout my home. Is this a flood loss?
23. Is water seeping through the exterior of my home and flooding the inside a flood loss?